The outbreak of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) may be stressful for people. Fear and anxiety about a disease can be overwhelming and cause strong emotions in adults and children. Coping with stress will make you, the people you care about, and your community stronger.
Stress during an infectious disease outbreak can include
- Fear and worry about your own health and the health of your loved ones
- Changes in sleep or eating patterns
- Difficulty sleeping or concentrating
- Worsening of chronic health problems
- Worsening of mental health conditions
- Increased use of alcohol, tobacco, or other drugs
It is important to understand that Pandemic like Covid 19 is bound to affect our mental health. It is natural to feel the anxiety, natural to feel the stress, says Dr. Samir Parikh, Director, Department of Mental Health And Behavioral, Fortis Healthcare.
We should accept this anxiety as the natural normal part of your life in the time of Covid-19.
“You should update yourself with the medical knowledge so that you can do something to prevent the illness from entering your home. Eat well, hydrate yourself well, do some Yoga, relaxation, meditation, do some fun activities, pick up a hobby, and create a work windows for yourself to cope with the social isolation and anxiety”, says he.