Monsoon brings rains and most of us enjoy it. However, increased levels of humidity during this season make it difficult to manage our hair. According to Dr. Mohan Thomas – Senior Cosmetic Surgeon, Cosmetic Surgery Institute – a regular hair care routine can go a long way in insuring you against tangles, wet and messy hair.
Here are some handy hacks to take good care of your hair during monsoon:
- Choose a sensible hairstyle that can bounce back into place easily after being wet. Avoid hairstyles that require your hair to be straightened, crimped or curled since the high levels of humidity in the air will make the hair go limp.
- Try not to use hair sprays and gels, as the lacquers and gums can stick to the scalp causing dandruff.
- No matter how much trouble you take to keep your head dry, a heavy rainy day is sure to leave you soaking. Proper drying of hair can help in minimizing the damage of excessive wetting of hair. Pat-dry your hair gently before using an electric blower rather than scrubbing with a towel. Also, make sure that the temperature is not too high or you may end up burning your hair.
- Do not leave your hair wet or tie it while it is wet, as this could cause dandruff. it’s better to avoid styling products and hair gels especially during this time of the year. Regular washing and conditioning are the best options to opt for.
- Avoid hot hair-treatments such as perming, straightening or colouring in the rainy season, as these treatments need time to settle on your strands and are likely to be washed away in the rain.
- When combined with wet weather, treatments like colouring tend to weaken the hair shaft and promote breakage, hair fall, and split ends so if possible avoid them.
- Shampoo at least 2-3 times a week, to keep away the dirt and pollution that sticks your hair throughout the day. And apply a good quality conditioner after shampoo.
- What you put into your body is as important as what you put on your hair. Remember to include plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet.
- Massaging oil is very good for the health of your hair, but make sure not to keep the oil for more than 2-3 hours.