Reassuring Perspective Amidst Growing Concerns
As the number of COVID-19 cases among children sees an upswing following the reopening of schools, health experts offer a reassuring perspective. Their consensus is that the majority of cases in children are mild, often resolving with symptomatic treatment, alleviating the need for undue panic.
Vaccination: A Cornerstone of Defense
Highlighting the importance of preventive measures, experts stress that eligible children should receive the COVID-19 vaccine. This vaccination initiative plays a pivotal role in fortifying children’s immunity against the virus and curbing its transmission within the community.
Pillars of COVID-Appropriate Behavior
Experts underscore the significance of consistent mask usage, standard sanitization protocols, and vigilant hand hygiene. These pillars collectively contribute to creating and maintaining a COVID-safe environment, particularly in educational institutions.
Insights from Dr. Krishan Chugh
Dr. Krishan Chugh, Principal Director & HOD of Paediatrics at Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram, sheds light on factors contributing to the surge in sickness among school-going children:
1. Increased Exposure: With schools reopening, interactions and activities like parties and sports have surged, leading to heightened exposure to infections.
2. Natural Immunity Building: Prolonged interactions expose children to viruses and bacteria, stimulating antibody and cellular immunity development, enhancing protection against infections.
3. Omicron and XE Variants: While highly infectious, these variants generally induce mild illnesses, justifying the resumption of normal activities. A temporary rise in COVID-19 cases is expected.
4. Seasonal Infections: Common during summers, water and foodborne infections can lead to issues like diarrhoea and food poisoning due to hygiene lapses.
5. Lifestyle Impact: Reduced physical activity and unhealthy eating habits during lockdowns may have weakened immunity.
6. Sleep Disruptions: Irregular sleep patterns might have compromised children’s immune systems.
Conclusion: A Holistic Approach
Experts emphasize maintaining a balanced outlook amidst the surge. While case numbers might increase, most children experience mild illnesses. Prioritizing vaccination, adhering to safety measures, and nurturing overall well-being constitute a comprehensive strategy in safeguarding children’s health during these challenging times.