The Efficacy of Vaccination Against Mutated Variants of COVID-19: A Study by Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals

Study observes that even with VoC’s, vaccinations helped prevent severe illness and hospitalization; strengthens case of vaccination.

Vaccines offer protection from severe illness and hospitalization
Vaccines offer protection from severe illness and hospitalization

A Study conducted by Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals provides promising results on vaccine efficacy

Concerns over the efficacy of COVID-19 vaccines against mutated variants have been addressed in a groundbreaking study conducted by Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals. The study, conducted on healthcare workers, revealed promising results, demonstrating the effectiveness of vaccines in combatting the mutated variants of the virus.

Breakthrough Infections examined in the study

The study, conducted over the course of 100 days, focused on 69 symptomatic healthcare workers at Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals who tested positive for COVID-19 despite being vaccinated with the Covishield vaccine. These post-vaccination infections, commonly referred to as Breakthrough Infections or BTIs, raised concerns about the effectiveness of vaccines against mutated variants.

Majority of infections caused by B.1.617.2 lineage

Among the study participants, 73.91% had received the complete two-dose vaccination, while the remaining 26.09% had received only a single dose. The predominant infections were caused by the B.1.617.2 lineage, followed by the B.1 and B.1.1.7 strains. Despite the presence of Variants of Concern (VoC), the study revealed that none of the vaccinated individuals required ICU admission or faced fatal outcomes.

Vaccines offer protection from severe illness and hospitalization

Dr. Anupam Sibal, Group Medical Director and Senior Pediatric Gastroenterologist of Apollo Hospitals, emphasized the significance of the findings. He stated that more than half of the infected cohort was exposed to the Variant of Concern (VoC) but still managed to evade severe illness due to the protective coverage offered by vaccination.

Timely precautions recommended post-vaccination

Dr. Raju Vaishya, Senior Consultant Orthopedics at Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals, stressed the importance of adhering to safety precautions even after vaccination. He advised vaccinated individuals to maintain social distancing, use face masks, and practice hand sanitation for at least two weeks after receiving the second dose. These measures are crucial as the body takes some time to build immunity following vaccination.

Study Overview

The study focused on 69 symptomatic healthcare workers at Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals who tested positive for COVID-19 after receiving the Covishield vaccine during the first 100 days of the vaccination drive.

Read More: Less Usage Of Social Media Can Ease Depression Anxiety And Isolation Issues – Details

Facebook Comments