Diabetes is a metabolic disorder that arises when the pancreas does not produce enough insulin or the body cannot effectively use the insulin it produces. Chronic high blood sugar can cause serious health problems.
The incidence of diabetes is on rising in India to such an extent that it has gained the status of an epidemic. Diabetes is posing an enormous health problem in our country today.
It has gained much recognition in recent years. One of the main reasons for its increased significance is its unparalleled contribution in the management of metabolic disorders.
Ayurveda through its lifestyle modulation and dietary guidelines can contribute immensely to this situation. Ayurvedic herbs are valuable to keep vata in balance and help reduce sugar cravings.
First and foremost, it is essential to change one’s relationship with food. Healthy weight management is considered a primary intervention. These wholesome foods are bitter gourd, amla, snake gourd, turmeric, drum stick, barley, wheat, green gram, horse gram, pepper, garlic, blueberry, soybean, cucumber, spinach, fenugreek seeds, Jamun, bel, tulsi.
Eating a diet that is low in fat, cholesterol, and salt can help improve overall health while helping to maintain healthy blood sugar levels.
Boredom eating is where one wants to snack often and binge on food. It can be unhealthy for you as binging can lead to Obesity and Diabetes. Watch this space to learn how to manage binge eating. pic.twitter.com/5eFS5ZUQ8e
— Ministry of AYUSH (@moayush) May 22, 2020
Exercise for better health
Ayurvedic texts suggest Long walks, swimming, hard labor like pulling carts, digging wells, serving animals, etc. All this involves muscular activity, which will help in maintaining muscle tone and peripheral utilization of glucose. Today, weight training exercises can be done. The following norms should be followed before or after exercise:
- Exercise should be initiated at low intensity and should be gradually increased
- It should not be done after eating heavy meals.
- It should be done regularly at fixed timings.
- Before exercise, a person should have taken proper sleep, his diet should have been digested properly
Ayurvedic Home Remedies To Control Blood Sugar
- Neem- Neem contains antioxidants, anti-viral compounds, glycosides, that might help reduce blood sugar levels. People taking it will limit their intake of sweet foods. The gymnemic acid components are also believed to block the absorption of glucose in the small intestine.
- Jamun Seeds- The seed powder of which has two components called jambosine and jamboline prevents the conversion of starch into sugar. This means there are lesser chances of a sudden spike in blood sugar levels when the starch in your food is metabolized.
- Methi Dana- Methi seeds can also be used to lower blood sugar levels due to their hypoglycaemic activity. By soaking two tablespoons of methi seeds in water overnight and drinking the water along with the seeds in the morning on an empty stomach can help bring down your glucose level.
- Aloe-Vera– Intake of aloe vera juice can help improve blood glucose levels and may therefore be useful in treating people with diabetes.
- Bitter Gourd Juice(Karela): Juice of Bitter gourd taken on an empty stomach daily in the early morning is considered one of the best remedies for diabetes.\
- Gymnema (Gurmar)- The plant may also play a beneficial role in diabetes treatment, as it may help stimulate insulin secretion. The Hindi name, gurmar, means “destroyer of sugar.” Studies show that gurmarin and gymnemic acids boost the natural production of insulin in the pancreas, which helps the body naturally support blood sugar, reduce sugar cravings, and manage weight.
Note- Ayurveda recommends a holistic approach to the management of diabetes and other lifestyle disorders. Keep in mind that diabetes cannot be controlled by diet alone, medications are also necessary. So follow your medicines with a proper diet and lifestyle.