In a shocking incident, a man lost his sight in one eye after falling asleep with contact lenses on. The twenty-one-year-old man has been wearing contact lenses for seven years. While he has faced eye infections or ‘pink eye’ before when he forgot to take them out, this time something very serious happened. A rare flesh-eating parasite ate his right eye. The parasite was developed after he slept with his contact lenses on.
Krumholz has now been diagnosed with acanthamoeba keratitis
Mike Krumholz hails from Florida in the United States. He had a busy day and decided to a nap but forgot to take out his contact lenses. This was not the first time when he forgot to remove the lenses. However, Krumholz has now been diagnosed with acanthamoeba keratitis in the right eye.
According to reports, he lost vision in his right eye because of the damage. Now, he is trying to spread awareness about the side effects of sleeping with contact lenses on. Krumholz has created a GoFundMe page for this. The page would also help him in his fight against the debilitating parasite.
Krumholz has set the target of raising USD 10,000 and has managed to raise close to USD 1,000 so far. The page was created by him on February 7.
Incident took place last month
Describing his ordeal, Krumholz said that the incident took place last month.
“I woke up and it felt like bad allergies or maybe even pink eye. I was misdiagnosed with HSV1 in my eye but after five different ophthalmologists and 2 cornea specialists visits, I was diagnosed with a very rare parasite in my eye called acanthamoeba keratitis,” the 21-year-old said.
Krumholz has already gone through one surgery called PDT relocation of the conjunctival flap. The 21-year-old man said he has no vision in one eye and the experience is very painful.
He has appealed to other people wearing contact lenses to not sleep with lenses on or even take shower while wearing them.